Themes- Steamed Windows

Themes- This story helped me understand a lot of themes and ideas, and showed me a different perspective of how people live their life. Some themes were loneliness, sadness, happiness, friendship, helpfulness, loss. I could most clearly see loss because she loved music, but one day she couldn’t hear and lost a lot of things she loved. She said that she loved singing too, but after she became deaf she couldn’t talk very well.

Important human issues- I think the author wants you to about is not just about deaf people but many people that have disabilities. That we should be open in helping people and providing them care and giving respect to them. And it can happen at any time in life. And people should be helpful and mindful of their loss because it impacts their lives in big ways.

Stories apply to many readers- I think people who would connect to this story would be people who have, people who have someone loved/friend who has it. And people who have other things that stop them from doing things like blindness and being mute (you can’t talk). I think a part that these 2 parts would really connect to people. When Kade helped her and tried his best to communicate, which showed that were all equals. And when she was in hospital she was scared and didn’t know what was happening, until they said she was deaf on the whiteboard.

Events represent ideas- I think some figurative language was when she said, It’s the only thing, if I really, really listen I can sometimes hear it, but it’s quiet, muted. It’s like its playing, softly inside a sound proof room and I’m outside the door, sitting and straining to hear. I think it means that she still has a strong connection to something she lost and she doesn’t forget what she loved. It can kind of shows that we expect things to stay the same after change.

Experiences evolves patterns- Some repeating patterns are her listening to her Mums music and thinking about it. And when Kade and her where drawing on the windows to talk to each other. And saying that she’s deaf she also used her whiteboard a lot.

Fiction is instructional- Its saying don’t take people or things for granted because one thing could be perfect for a long time and change in the blink of an eye.  And it said this, all I know is that one day I was hearing just fine then the next day I woke up in a hospital with a huge headache. I was so scared at first. I saw them talking but I couldn’t hear. Later someone wrote down for me that something had happened to my eardrums and now I was deaf. So we can’t expect they UN expected.

If I was her I’d be super scared and nervous. I’d feel so weird like a different person. I think I’d feel left out because the whole world is talking and I’m just watching things. I feel super lucky to be able to see, talk, and hear everything in my life. It would be so weird I do know some ones grandpa that doesn’t have one ear at all. So be grateful that you can hear at all.

One thought on “Themes- Steamed Windows

1. Wow Aaliyah. What an insightful reflection. You have really unpacked the idea of theme beautifully. The start of this reflection in particular was really well written. Congratulations on some fantastic writing.