Adaptations Reflection

This is my Adaptation Reflection, on what we’ve been learning throughout our projects.

Introduction

This term our unit has been desert animals and environments and showing their adaptations. We had to choose an animal or a plant to our project on that live in the desert. Some things we needed to include were models, diagrams, and a science experiment. The main idea was to inform the audience about its behaviour, structural features and adaptations. You were given a partner and you did all the work and were given a rubric. We did a powerpoint or a poster and we chose a power point and chose the Spinifex hopping mouse as our animal. We also had a rubric with sections about below average at average and above expectations. We wanted to work above expectations and highlighted things that we’ve achieved. I think that we achieved over expectations because we used time wisely, communicated well, showed each respect and listened to ideas.

Some interesting things I learnt about my animal,

1. Its ear has a large surface area and sometimes when hot the blood flows through the ear and as it comes back down receiving it the blood is cooled down and decreases the body heat.
  2. They eat seeds, berries, plants, insects, fungi, small reptiles, and Spinifex grass seeds. And do not need to drink much water because it’s got very efficient kidneys which absorb all the moisture. It’s an omnivore so it can eat just about anything they find.
  3. They weigh 35 grams almost the same as 5 two dollar coins, and its tail is longer than its self by about 40mm (As an adult).

Understandings

1. I know understand that without it efficient kidney’s it probably wouldn’t survive. It would probably going out a lot more often and collect water and it would get hunted down be feral animals like owls, cats, foxes, and native animals. And go in the daytime heat instead of night.
  2. I also understand that without a pouch of any type it would be harder to protect their young in times of attack or danger in burrows. Because the young cling to the nipples for about a month, if a female went out and a predator attacks the babies might fall off. So that’s a disadvantage.

Question/wonder

1. If it rarely ventures more than a few meters from the burrow how does it get food?

Achievements

I think that I and my partner achieved a lot and more than we thought we could. We had to put a lot trust in each other to make sure we did everything on time. We had an advantage because our parents know each other from our bothers so he could over to my house. We worked really well and we got everything done on time. I think one our biggest achievements was our science project. And our diorama was bold and stood out. I think because we listened to each other and accepted what could go wrong and how it might make it better we achieved a lot. I think we also made progress in sharing parts and who did what, we made it easier by make a homework list for our project. We also looked back on the rubric.

Partner and Social capabilities

Aryaveer- He helped out with excel because he was confident, he did the diagram and labelled, we equalled out how many slides we did and how much talking we did.

Aaliyah- I bought a lot of supplies and because Aryaveer was sick I had to help him out a lot. I was very confident.

Science Inquiry skills

Questioning and predicting

I have how to make a leading a prediction into my animal and the subject. I know how to use questions to make predictions about a certain subject. I used previous knowledge of other experiments and what I used. I know that not having proper equipment for everything it might not be an accurate prediction.

Science Knowledge

Biological understanding

I understand the importance of adaptations and features, of helping animals. They are meant to assist creatures in their natural habitat, from predators. But I do know that adaptations aren’t always useful when there is a natural disaster because it is meant to assist it when being hunted on and when in their environment. I know because my animal is small and nocturnal. Because of the heat and small size its body has adapted in ways it know its body can help it. Like its large ears flows to the blood to the ear and then receiving it back its body is cooled down. I know that most animals have adaptations and all use them and can help other species too.

What were the most important things that I learnt?

One thing was I learnt how to properly skim and scan through texts so I’m just getting big fa chunks of information that I have to deal with, so breaking things into parts. One really big thing I learnt was trust, I learnt how to trust my partner and rely on him to do his share too. So times it was a bit pressuring but we got over and communicated well.  I learnt more about trust in others and worked out a wheel of how we worked he would do some slides I would and it worked really well.  And when we were doing science experiments I knew the progress and what you needed to make it run smoothly. You needed to predict, 1 variable, and more than 1 thing staying the same, what you’re measuring/ observing, what equipment you’ll need and what you’re going to do. It was really fun doing experiments and kind of help us with our own because some of the animals have a similar adaptation to what we were testing. And I learnt about sharing workloads.

How did I learn it?

In the science part I learnt by using stuff around me, that I could use physically. It helped using tools because I could show my conclusion in different ways and I used some things that were knew, and I used my prior knowledge of what I already knew about it. I also learnt by breaking it down into areas, so before we showed adaptations, behavioural adaptations and structural adaptations we showed its habitat you need it before otherwise you don’t what environment it’s protecting itself in. We showed predictions about the animal and a definition of structural and behavioural adaptations. We also did it by breaking in questions and asking each other to answer them. When looking on the internet it was hard in some place because it showed different answers and we had to back it up by finding another site.

What I’m going to do with what I learnt

I will use it in future presentations and class work. When showing my actual presentation I’m going to take the feedback I got from the audience and use it to help others and myself in situations where I know this isn’t right and it could use improving. So really all the skills I learnt will be used onwards in my school years, and so I can show improvement aswell learning from people think about it.

Conclusion

I feel I’ve learnt more about things that I haven’t learnt before and by showing other presentations I get to see how they relate to mine. And can make connections. With my 1 wonder I have many more that’s a random but interesting one I picked out. I learnt about working with others. And it was a great…… experience with my partner!

Goal- To make sure that we have more even amounts of reading the presentation. Thanks

Image result for adaptations word

One thought on “Adaptations Reflection

1. Aaliyah, I am so impressed with the maturity shown in this reflection. You worked really well with your partner and produced a very high quality project on the hopping mouse. Your in depth reflection shows how much you have learned through this project, not just knowledge, but inquiry skills, the ability to make predictions, teamwork and the ability to reflect on your own learning. Well done!