BTN challenge: Poo crew

For more information click this website- http://www.abc.net.au/btn/story/s3521276.htm

Key

Green: Facts

Blue: Questions

Red: Understandings

Facts

It’s something that we all have in common we all poo, it’s part of our everyday life. But no one really knows what happens after you flush the toilet. Until some kids changed that and started studying poo. Don’t worry it may seem gross but it’s science. These guys are looking at the science of water waste treatment, otherwise known as Bolivar waste treatment plant. The population of Adelaide is 1.2 million people producing an average of about 240,000kg of faeces a day and 4.2million litres of urine a day. That sounds like a lot but 99.99 percent of that stuff goes to the plant in water. The smell isn’t that bad as you think, thanks to the chemicals in a tower which takes away a lot of pong. The first thing that gets removed is the paper and plastic, as well as toys. Probably once or twice a week they get a call from a little old lady who says I flushed my teeth down the toilet. When the chunks of the stuff are all out it goes to the tanks, where the thick sludgy stuff stinks to the bottom. After treatment and a few years drying out the sludge will be used by farmers as fertilisers. As for the water or effluent, it’s sent to tanks, where microorganisms, help clean it up by chowing down all the nasty yucky stuff. The process produces methane gas which is used to power the plant. The plant does lots of recycling and we produce fertilizer. We produce heat were also producing electricity off in the power station. We’re cleaning up once we’ve finished, we fairly clean water and we can discharge it into the environment. Once it’s been cleaned up it goes to Bolivar into these big lagoon were the sun helps kill off germs. While we can’t drink it so, some will be used for watering gardens and other water to flush the toilet. There’s a little ring muscle near your bum called the anal sphincter and you squeeze all your poo out and it goes to the water treatment, and that’s where it all starts. You might not know but your body is always creating new POO. This is what some kids found out, we’ve learnt how there are different bubbles react to different bacteria.

Questions:

Do you or what type of equipment do you wear?

When the poo goes down are there different sewage line for different suburbs?

How many poo treatments are there in Australia?

Understanding:

I know understand the process in which poo is turned into fertilizer, watering gardens or flushing toilets. I understand where it goes and different developments and how much goes down there and how they deal with the smell. I know how much people produce and which stages it has to go through and all the chemicals that are used. I’ve also found out what muscles are used to poo.

Posted in BTN